Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dizzy and PeeWee

My first memory of television was watching the set made by Philco and sold by Oklahoma Tire and Supply (this was before WalMart, folks) being installed by L.D. Dennis. The antenna (the tv "aerial") was attached to the side of our house with an aluminum bracket and guy wires that angled down from the top of the antenna to steel rods pounded deep into the lawn. These are the same guy wires that would later prove to be inconvenient to bicycle riding in the yard. As the set was turned on and allowed to warm up, a grainy image of a baseball player was shown catching a pop up fly in a baseball game. My two newest buddies, Dizzy Dean and PeeWee Reese were the announcers ("Have a nice cold Falstaff beer while you're watchin the game podnah!"). I had died and gone to Heaven in the living room. No more radio programs, now I had Chet Huntley and David Brinkley and the NBC Nightly News (Good Night, Chet). Chuck Hesington in front of the Shrine Mosque with Channel 3, KYTV, Springfield, Missouri! And the Today Show with Dave Garoway. From New York City.

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to me and the kiddos!! I am so incredibly excited!! I LOVE it!! This will be so fun to read to the kids. They will love it too. Thank you!!! ANd by the way, WHAT EVER. I come by the over achieving quite naturally thankyouverymuch. And I am currently happy in my UNDER achieving state. But nonetheless, I am so excited!!!

    And here's Emma:
    emmanbvcxdaqwerybzxhdmnhtt5refdzaqwegtjkxnnzcxcbm,aaaaasdfghjklweqrgyioqqwwrtryyyyyyuiiii12222222223556786912314256748607q333333333ewesszsddfsddtybvzzxqawsww

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was so nice...thanks,
    Love you

    ReplyDelete